HOW TO UNDERSTAND THE BEHAVIOR OF THE CATS AND THE TOP OF SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THEM
After the first day of spring, when the whole world is celebrating Cat Day we collected for you the most interesting facts about them and tried to explain cats behavior.
• If a cat follows you from room to room, then it is believed that it does this in order to control your actions.
• When a cat rubs about you, it’s not only from tenderness. So it “marks” you as its territory and removes other smells from you.
• If the cat is near you and its tail is trembling, this is the highest degree of love that it can express.
• If a cat brought you prey, such as a mouse, then it takes care of you and wants to feed you. It is important here not to scold the cat for a “gift”, but to praise the pussies.
• If your cat constantly scratches furniture, then you can sprinkle this place with citrus juice. Cats hate this smell.
• Not all cats are afraid of water. So, a cat of the Turkish Van breed loves to swim.
• Fur care calms cats, neutralizes their aggressiveness. If the cat does not know which way to choose or what is best to do, it can sit and start licking herself – this is how it thinks about her decision.
• If a cat is attacked, it will firmly press its ears to its head. So it instinctively defends itself from the teeth and claws of the enemy. If the cat attacks by itself, then it drops its ears horizontally and sideways, forming a menacing triangle.
• Cats have healing powers. In folk medicine, there is even a special felinotherapy – a method for the prevention and treatment of various diseases using contacts with cats.
• Some people believe that cat owners have a 30% reduced chance of a heart attack or stroke.
• Cats spend most of their lives sleeping. So, out of 9 years your cat will sleep 6 years.
• A cat can jump to a height which in 5 times more its own height.
• Cats can rotate their ears 180 degrees, because 32 muscles control their outer ear. For comparison, a human has only 6 of ear muscles.
• Cats have 24 extra bones than human doesn’t have. This explains their natural plasticity. However, cats do not have collarbones, which allows them to crawl into small holes into which their head crawls.
• The heart beats in cats almost twice faster than in humans (110-140 beats per minute), and the body temperature is about 38 degrees.
• Each cat’s “nose print” is as unique as a human’s fingerprint.
• In addition to the nose, cats can pick up odors using the so-called Jacobson tube, located on the upper palate behind the front incisors.
• A cat in its life can give birth to more than 100 kittens.
• A cat has an average of 12 moving whiskers on each side of its face. They are based on many nerve endings, so the cat with the help of them receives information about everything that surrounds it: about objects, wind, temperature, etc.
• Persian cat is the most popular breed in the world. Maine Coons are in second place and Siamese cats in third.
• The oldest cat Natmeg lived 32 years and was listed in the Guinness Book of Records.
• If your cat is 3 years old, this corresponds to a human 21-year old. If 8 years, then humanly it is 40. If 14, then it is 70 human years.
• Cats can make about 100 different sounds. For comparison, dogs are only about 10.
• Cats were subjected to the Inquisition. Pope Innocent VIII considered them guides between witches and the forces of evil. Having exterminated cats in Europe, people received an invasion of rats and an epidemic of plague.
• The ancestors of modern cats appeared on Earth almost 60 million years ago. True, the current “purr”, regardless of size and lifestyle, this beast was a little like. Scientists attribute these animals to the family of primitive predators, all of whose representatives were more like modern martens. And only 20 million years ago was born the “distant relative” of all modern cats.
• Currently, wild feline is common on all continents and large islands, except:
2. New Guinea
6. And Madagascar.
• However, there is no clear certainty about the latter, since some zoologists, for example, J. Darrell, consider the local predator Fossa not a relative of mongooses, but a primitive representative of the cat family. By the way, 11 species of wild cats live in Russia. Feline are the most numerous in the tropics, only a tiger, a puma, a lynx, a Bengal cat, whose range partially enters seaside, entered the taiga zone.
• In ancient Egypt, black cats were kept as temple animals. From there they were brought by Phoenician sailors to Europe. During the Middle Ages, black cats were considered an invariable attribute of witch’s covens and servants of the devil, the Catholic Church even arranged public acts of burning these animals, suspected of being associated with evil spirits. In ancient Egypt, a cat is a temple animal
• According to the University of Lyon, today in the world there are approximately 400 million domestic cats. Oddly enough, most of them are in Australia, for 10 inhabitants of the “Green Continent” there are nine cats!
Stages of growing a cat in comparison with human years
|from 0 to 6 months||The period when the kitten grows very quickly and actively develops corresponds to human 0-7.5 years.|
|from 7 months to 2 years||Growing up period. Corresponds to 8-25 years of human life.|
|from 3 to 6 years||The most active period. Corresponds to 25-45 human years.|
|from 7 to 10 years||Maturity period. About 45-55 human years.|
|from 11-15 years||The first signs of aging appear. Approximately 60-75 human years|
|from 16 years and above||Old age. In human terms, more than 79 years.|