Today I want to show you some homemade balanced dog food recipes which I used to cook for my Jack Russell Terrier. In general, cooking for dog is not difficult at all. You just need to know which foods the dog can eat and which are strictly prohibited. Please read about properly balanced dog food (1st part, 2nd part).
Vets recommend making a not-so-varied diet for the dog and do not spoil it every day with new dishes. Choose the main recipe for your dog, with which you will prepare the main daily dish.
For daily dog feeding, it is best to use recipes that include ingredients such as meat, vegetables, cereals, oils, and herbs. You can also cook home-made dog food with fish, cottage cheese and other useful and necessary (but not for daily feeding) products at your discretion.
Recipes for dogs feeding can be very diverse. I would like to share some of them. The ingredients may vary depending on the time of year. Sometimes I add bell pepper, replace squash with pumpkin, replace buckwheat with rice and so on.
Porridge for Dog (option 1)
Ingredients (3 liter pan)
Beef or veal heart: 1-1.5kg. The heart can be replaced with any beef as trimmings, cheeks, or with lamb, turkey.
70-100g of rice.
1 middle carrot.
A little fresh pumpkin.
Greens (dill, parsley).
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Prepear meat and vegetables
2. While preparing the broth, cut the greens and vegetables into small cubes (approximately 0.7×0.7 mm). Many home-made dog food recipes tells about chopping vegetables on a coarse grater, but I would recommend dicing – this is useful for cleaning plaque.
Cooking rice in diluted broth
3. While the meat is being cooked, we take it out of the pan and set it on a separate plate. I usually pour 2/3 of the broth into a separate container and leave 1/3 in the pan. Then I add water there and cook rice on a diluted broth. You can, of course, not drain the water, but add rice directly to the cooked broth and boil it. But in many dogs, meat broths are poorly digested and can cause allergic reactions.
5. While the rice is cooking do not to lose time, cut the boiled beef into cubes (approximately the same as vegetables – 0.7 x 0.7 mm). If you make the meat cubes larger, then during feeding the dog will just pick them out of the porridge, and leave the vegetables (they are still cunning).
6. When rice is cooked we put the chopped heart into the pan and mix well. I usually let this mixture cool slightly to room temperature before putting vegetables and herbs in it. That’s why vegetables do not lose vitamins and other their beneficial properties.
7. Well, in conclusion, I put vegetables and herbs in the pan, add 1 spoonful of vegetable oil and mix well.
Homemade and yummy porridge for dog is ready. Bon appetit!
Porridge for dog (option 2)
You can cook this homemade dog food recipe of porridge by mixing all the ingredients at once. But lately, I prefer not to mix cooked foods, but to cook as follows.
We must have:
- Beef trimmings (approximately 1 – 1.3 kg).
- Half a glass of rice.
- Fresh Cucumber.
- Sweet pepper.
- Greens (dill, parsley, lettuce).
- Vegetable or linseed oil, fish oil.
1. I take beef trimmings (lamb, turkey, beef offal).
2. Pour water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. To preserve as many vitamins as possible in the meat, I put it in boiling water. After the meat boils, wait it for 20 minutes.
3. While the meat is being cooked, I boil rice in a separate saucepan.
4. When the meat is ready, I put it in a separate bowl and also pour the broth into the jar and put it all in the refrigerator.
5. Immediately before feeding dog, I take everything out of the refrigerator. I cut the meat into dog’s bowl, add a tablespoon of boiled cereals, fresh vegetables and herbs.
Do not forget that meat should be approximately 50-60% of a serving, 10-15% of cereals, and the rest are vegetables.
6. To prevent the porridge from getting dry, add a couple of spoonfuls of broth.
7. All mix well and warm to room temperature (even a little warmer).
8. Immediately before giving the porridge, I add a few drops of fish oil or any other natural supplement to it.
Recently, that’s how I cook porridge.
With a natural diet, the daily amount of food consumed by the dog should be approximately 5-8% of the weight of the dog. For adult pets and dogs leading a passive lifestyle, 5% is enough. But growing puppies and hyperactive dogs will need about 8%. For example, if your pet weighs 7 kilograms, then the daily amount of food consumed will be approximately 350-560 grams of food per day.
That is, if you feed your pet twice a day, then the number of single servings will be about 180-270 grams.
The amount of servings you must determine for yourself, based on age and level of physical activity. Many factors can affect appetite. For example, in summer, in hot weather, dogs eat much less than in the cold season.
Let’s cook more useful and balanced homemade dog food recipes!